Adventures in Faith, learning every step of the way

miércoles, 23 de octubre de 2013

Let´s Call Him "Eduardo"

I see him there every time I stop at the last intersection just before arriving at the airport.  His hands and arms are twisted.  He has learned the art of holding things between his two wrists which fold in towards each other.  As he passes close by my car with a cup clasped tightly between his two wrists I keep my window rolled up and I turn my head away.

It isn't that I am unfeeling.  Quite the contrary.  My feelings go very deep, I am simply guarding his dignity.  His name isn't Eduardo, but let's call him that.  Eduardo is now in his mid-20's, but I remember when I met him as a pre-teen, uneducated, unbathed, living below the poverty level in a ghetto with fame as one of Guatemala city's most dangerous places.

At the time I was working in a feeding program which also offered tutorials and Bible classes.  Eduardo showed up unkempt and hungry with his step-siblings.   His arms and legs were twisted so badly that he had to eat with his face in the dish.  It was heart rendering to watch the other children mock him and even worse to know that he suffered abuse and ridicule at home.

The other teachers and I had compassion on Eduardo.  It was easy to overlook the stale smell of unwashed clothes and to look past the grimy face when we thought about the price that Jesus had paid for this precious child.

The director of the ministry began to knock on doors everywhere to find a solution.  At last, with the help of many generous sponsors and doctors, we were able to get Eduardo a series of surgeries to mostly correct his physical problems.  He learned to read AND TO WRITE.  He learned hygiene.  He was fed regularly.  And more importantly EDUARDO LEARNED THAT HE WAS LOVED.

But the fairy tale ended.  One day, before the series of surgeries was complete, Eduardo stopped coming.  His step-siblings shuffled their feet and dropped their eyes refusing to answer regarding his whereabouts.  His step mother had sent him to the stoplights to beg for money to help support the family.

I reach out to a different part of Guatemala now.  Still, year later, I can see Eduardo still begging for money at the stoplights.  Once I rolled my window down and cheerfully greeted him asking about his welfare and slipping him a granola bar.  He was clearly uncomfortable.  He knew deep down that we had higher hopes for him than this.  Out of respect for his discomfort I have since left my tinted windows up and turned my face away pretending not to see...although I do see and my heart aches.

One of the hardest things to come to terms to in any ministry setting is that you will not always change every life you set out to.  It is a hard thing to understand that although sometimes we give it our all and more, ultimately WE cannot change anyone.

It is hurtful to see people we care about falling into the same sin time and time again, making the same mistakes over and over.  But the reality is that each individual makes the decision to allow God to change him/her or his/her circumstances or not.

It is discouraging to work so long, pray so hard, give so much and to know that even so MOST times we will not see the fruit of our efforts in this lifetime.

But then, even Jesus could only help those who accepted His help.  He can only save those who open their heart to Him.  Why should I be surprised that I am faced with the same limitation of the human will?

Unless you are prepared to accept this reality and keep on giving of yourself anyway then you are not ready for missions or ministry.

But there is another reality equally as important--- Eduardo is not a finished product.  Although I may not see it right now, I have all eternity to see what the seed that has been planted in him has produced!

And therein lies the element of faith.....





No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario