Adventures in Faith, learning every step of the way

viernes, 29 de noviembre de 2013

Shivering right down to my bones

For those of you who think Guatemala is always a warm, tropical climate I have news for you.  Yesterday when I woke up at 6am the outside thermometer marked 45 degrees Fahrenheit.  And we don't have heat!  That is cold in anybody's book.  As I snuggled down further into my electric blanket and thanked God for my PVC windows which keep the wind at bay and most of the cold out (it was 58 degrees inside) I couldn't help but think of the many families I know who live within rattly tin walls where the wind whips through every crack and crevice. 

Later that day I had the opportunity to visit one of the families who regularly attend the feeding center. Bundled up in my turtleneck sweater and with a warm fleecie layered on top Yolanda and I traversed several blocks to their home.  When we arrived our ears were burning and our noses were red but our bodies felt warm from the exercise.  The blanket hung up over an opening in the tiny dwelling and serving as a door was thrown to one side and a passel of youngsters flung themselves joyfully at us.  It was a tangle of dirty faces, disheveled hair, bare arms, runny noses, and great big grins. 

My heart broke as I took in the scene before me.  One or two ported a threadbare sweater but most were in short sleeves.  No wonder they spend days like this in the bed under the blankets. 

It made me realize that the ABA feeding center needs to do more than just offer a meal or two.  These families have needs that go much deeper.  So let's begin praying even now for next year.  Let's put our faith out there to be able to give a warm sweater or jacket to each child in the program during 2014.  Together we can!!!!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario