Adventures in Faith, learning every step of the way

martes, 30 de julio de 2013

A New Perspective

It had been an exciting week in March.  The mission team was resting at the mission base while one team member, a dear friend for many years, sat on my sofa sharing a cup of coffee and catching up.  Her cheery smile, calm manner and twinkling eyes filled our living room with friendship as we talked about what the Lord had been doing in each of our lives for the past years.

As we discussed the current week she opened her heart concerning something the Lord had spoken to her.  She shared with me how she had prayed for the outreach to the Senior Citizen Center and the Lord had spoken to her about its importance and that for many of these seniors it would be the first AND LAST opportunity to hear the gospel.  What a profound - and simple- truth to grasp!

Brazos Abiertos in San José Pinula (the ministry my family founded) is dedicated to the evangelism and discipleship of CHILDREN.  We rarely strayed from that focus.  Sometimes I was quite adamant! 

As I stood in the entryway of the Senior Citizen Center last Friday with the mission team from Iowa, those words rang in my heart.  Those words had changed my perspective.  Although the unsavory aroma of 50 un-bathed adults wafted through the doorway and assaulted my senses there was a knowing deep down on the inside of me that we were indeed appointed and anointed to go into this place with the gospel. 

The young people reached out with love and served the "grandparents" in a way that I am sure Jesus himself would have done.  They were patient, kind, and loving as they interacted with each individual. 

interacting with love and affection
serving lunch

The group shared the simple message of God's love through a craft.


They had a time of prayer.  Almost every person requested prayer.  There were testimonies of alleviated aches and pains. 

The young people of Iowa infused life and happiness into the hearts of so many.



I am so glad that God changed my perspective through the wise words of a good friend.  Now I see that Brazos Abiertos is called to visit the widows (and widowers!) in their distress just like the Word of God admonishes us!  We are reviewing our schedule to see how we can add this outreach on a monthly basis.

Corban and Cohen accompanied us that day.  Nothing brings a smile to an older person's face like the antics of young children!


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario