Adventures in Faith, learning every step of the way

domingo, 26 de mayo de 2013

The City Street

There is a certain place in Guatemala City that makes me cringe.  This particular street is heavily traversed- although I suppose that could describe any street in this over-trafficked city.  However, on this particular portion of this particular street something occurs which boggles my mind as a "gringa"- the dividing lines on the street merge, disappear, and reappear, painted, faded, and painted again in such a fashion that I can never tell which of the lines I am supposed to obey and which ones are simply left over from times past!  The cars in front of me swerve and weave in and out of one another in an indistinct pattern, leaving me no clue as to which of the cars is actually obeying the law and which of the cars is simply driving Guatemalan style. 

As I cautiously pick my way along a lane which suddenly disappears or worse- suddenly becomes the on-coming lane I can feel my heart race.  Surely this section of the street is only confidently driven on by people such as my husband who have been around long enough to KNOW which of the painted lines are the most recent and which ones are simply to be ignored.  My husband has driven along this route so often that he detects any change immediately and knows which way the lanes run - or run out- by reflex.  To me- it is utter mayhem!

But as I gather my courage and drive through this section, holding my breath and praying for divine protection, I realize something.  Oftentimes we go along in life just like this.  We go along hoping we are in the right lane, but not really being sure.  We try to follow the guy in front of us supposing maybe he has it right, but not very sure of that either.  The lines of sin and right vs. wrong are smudged and faded, we are no longer sure if we are in God's will or just making it up as we go along. 

And I think of how the Bible offers that dividing line.  Without God's Word to show us the way, our daily life is a struggle and a series of guesses.  But with God's word we can clearly see the direction we need to take and the decisions we need to make.  God's Word keeps us on course. 

I notice how in my life if I neglect my Bible leaving it sitting on the coffee table far too long suddenly I am not as quick to discern when I have taken a false step.  I bumble along often times hurting those I love with the mistakes I make, the attitudes I have or the lack of love and patience I display.  I find myself unsure how to respond when crisis comes, or even when a simple problem presents itself. 

There is truly nothing like God's work to keep us going along the right track with the right attitudes and making right choices.  The Psalmist said, "I will hide they word in my heart that I might not sin against thee". 

So today as I reflect on a recent encounter with THAT section of Guatemala City I also reflect on my constant need to be in God's Word.  I repent for the times I have neglected it and I make a conscious decision to read my Bible and pray more diligently.  I encourage you to do the same.  It will change your life.  Just watch and see. 

my faithful friend

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario