Adventures in Faith, learning every step of the way

martes, 13 de noviembre de 2012

Doña Yoli- an inspiration and example

It is easy after so many years of mission work to think more highly of yourself than you ought to think.  It is a snare that the devil lays for us- that trap of thinking you are doing a pretty good job of reaching people.  You can start to check off the good deeds you have done like a to-do list: the people whose lives you have changed, the hundreds and thousands you have led to Christ over the years, or the amount of food and clothes that have gone from your hands to someone in more need.  It is easy to look at charts and graphs that paint a picture of growth (and therefore success).

It is easy to fall prey to the perverted lie that numbers matter most and the more important aspect of mission work is what is visible and tangible so that others can see- and maybe applaud. 

Yet when these dark thoughts begin to reach the depths of my heart as a shadow growing long in the evening will overtake its surroundings there is a voice inside of me that reminds me that if I have not love I have nothing.  If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

love is patient, love is kind

1 Corinthians chapter 13 is a good reminder of what should truly motivate us as we serve the Lord, whether in full-time ministry or as laymen.

Today I was reunited with Yoli, the woman who first introduced me to the villages around San José Pinula and opened the door for CrossCulture Jesus to begin working there.

Once again I was reminded of what it is like to serve God and serve others out of genuine concern and love for people.  Every step we took we were bombarded by village dwellers wanting a word with "Hermana Yoli".  She had a kind smile and soft word for each woman we greeted.  She asked about the members of their families by name.  She made promises of stopping by later for coffee and prayer.  She confided in me her deep desire to help each family with food, clothes, medicine, and whatever else could be needed.

It was a refreshing reminder to me that there is life outside of motherhood.  And while motherhood is a divine calling in itself, I miss being "in the trenches" so to speak.

It was also a reminder that there is so much more work for us to do.  My heart breaks with the burden to reach these villages and I find myself pleading with God to send us more workers because the harvest where we are is truly, truly plentiful but the workers on our team are so very few.

Lord bring more "Yoli's" to our team!

the fields are ripe unto the harvest

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario