Adventures in Faith, learning every step of the way

jueves, 11 de junio de 2015

Unsung Heroes...


 
 
 
 
 
 
 

I have sometimes Heard people say some very flattering things about my willingness to leave confort, Friends, and family behind to embrace life as a missionary.  But I am no hero.  My sacrifice is nothing compared to the sacrifices of the wonderful people I work with.

I work with a team of unsung héroes. 

Recently I visited the home of one our our team members.  She lives almost 2 hours away by bus, leaving home early every morning in order to be at work on time.  Her home was in a small village with dirty, narrow streets. 

When we arrived she sweetly invited us into her home, which was filled with love, but Little else.  The humble home was made of cinderblock walls, concrete floors, and a tin roof divided into 2 rooms: one to live in and another for the whole family to sleep in.  Her bathroom outside was an outhouse.  Her shower?  A rain barrel with a bar of soap and a scoop for the wáter. 

Why did this visit to my teammate´s house touch me so?  Because I think that I get way too much admiration for what I do and she doesn't get enough.  Out of her nothing she gives everything to love on children and teach them about God's love.  Monday through Friday she, and the rest of my staff, work tirelessly to teach children and youth about age-old Bible truths in fresh, new ways.  Her work is done in excellence.  Her heart for God evident.  She is a real missionary.
These amazing men and women of God spend hours making purchases and then carrying them back to the base.  They cook meals for hungry children- carefully planning out the menú and going to the market for fresh supplies.  They are full of love and encouragement for children who need so much of it.

So the next time you feel tempted to say something to me about how kind, generous, or brave I am for coming to Guatemala to share the góspel- save it.  I don't deserve your praise.  I humble myself in awe of the staff that serves alongside me.  they are the ones who deserve your praise. 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario