Adventures in Faith, learning every step of the way

lunes, 2 de marzo de 2015

Supermarket Struggles....

Grocery Shopping in this country is a contradictory mixture of extreme frustration and abounding thankfulness.

For all its moderness, Guatemala City is still smack in the middle of a third world country- and that fact is ever so obvious upon visiting the local Wal-mart.

It never ceases to amaze me how in America the fingernail polish aisle (or aísles) looks like a rainbow reproduced- MANY TIMES- and gave its children up for adoption.  While in this country the nail polish section (notice, it is a topic that doesn't even warrant an entire aisle) consists of about 10 colors total.  I am not much of a nail painter anyway, and after today's disappointing attempt to jazz up my appearance a bit I probably never will be!

Not too terribly long ago I went to the store to buy some sliced cheese for lunches and a block of cheddar.  Much to my dismay there was no cheese at the store.  I repeat... no. cheese. in. the. entire. store.  So much for that idea!  And there wasn't any cheese for several weeks. 

Then, several years ago there was a poblem with the Similac Formula shipment and the ENTIRE NATION went without formula for 6 weeks.  Yes, folks- I got very creative with my recently weaned 9-month-old's bottle!

This frustration was repeated today when several of the ítems on my monthly list were simply missing from the shelves.  Dijon mustard for a récipe I had planned for this week- all gone.  It is only offered in 2 brands anyway, but both of them were totally void of the Dijon versión.  Scrap that récipe for another time!

So this is the frustration side of things.  I never know if I will find what I need at the store.  When I do find it you can see me tossing 10 of the same ítem into my cart in a mad attempt to NEVER BE OUT AGAIN!

The thankfulness portion comes when I do actually find what I need.  I am ever so grateful to return home with a full-cart and stock my cupboards.  I find myself singing praises in the cereal aisle when I find our favorite brands.  Cheese sticks can cause me to dance around my cart.  It's the simple things in life!

I find myself pushing my cart down the aisle grumbling about this crazy country one minute and shouting Hallelujah the next.  Shopping is always an adventure.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario