Adventures in Faith, learning every step of the way

domingo, 17 de febrero de 2013

Embracing Restraints!

A happy Corban on his "big boy bike"
Just ahead my enthusiastic 4-year-old was gleefully riding his bicycle.  If riding is what you could call the way he wobbled and swiveled as he propelled himself along.  His voice carried on the breeze, inviting me to watch the new tricks he could do.  Although- he still confuses the Spanish word for trick and trap.  So, actually he was asking me to observe his new "traps".  I called ahead to correct his Spanish but he didn't hear.  He was too busy laughing, talking, and thoroughly enjoying himself.

In front of me my 12-month-old was struggling against the restraints of his stroller, fighting for his freedom.  He wanted to get down and run after his older brother.  But after seeing all of these amazing new feats being performed before my very eyes I was hesitant to let my toddler run willy nilly into the path of my daring pre-schooler.

I felt myself identifying with Cohen.  I, too, find myself wrestling with the confines in my life at times.  Too often I find myself dissatisfied with the place where the Lord has placed me- surely for my own good- and eager to run free into the many adventures I partook of as a young single missionary.  I sometimes feel too tied down as the mother of small children, no longer able to pack up and go or burn the midnight oil with mission teams.  It is tempting to wonder what I am missing.

As I watched my baby look longingly at his brother I knew that I have also been looking longingly at others, wishing I could run at their pace instead of my own.  I realized that surely I am in this place right now because it is the best place for me and my family.  Surely the Lord is teaching me enduring lessons about self-control, compassion, love, patience, understanding, and selfless giving.  Even in this place where it appears that I am held captive for a time the Lord is teaching me things of eternal value.

So today as I ask the Lord to help me find contentment in this place of learning and to be fruitful in this place where I am planted I find I am truly thankful for the "restraints" - especially the 2 I have just in front of me!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario