Adventures in Faith, learning every step of the way

jueves, 25 de octubre de 2012

Lands left behind

Mark 10:28-30

New King James Version (NKJV)
28 Then Peter began to say to Him, “See, we have left all and followed You.”
29 So Jesus answered and said, “Assuredly, I say to you, there is no one who has left house or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife[a] or children or lands, for My sake and the gospel’s, 30 who shall not receive a hundredfold now in this time—houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and lands, with persecutions—and in the age to come, eternal life.

I often meditate on Mark 10:28-30.  Surely this verse applies to me!  At times it seems that I left it all behind in order to follow the calling of God on my life.  But, then, doesn't everyone sacrifice something in order to truly live for Jesus?  

Corban in front of the Spring House at Grandma´s
Now that I have children I feel even more keenly the loss I have endured to bring the gospel to families so very different from my own.   There are childhood memories I cherish and wish my children could claim for their own.  Sunday dinners at Grandma's house full of rowdy cousins, animated adult conversation,and  delicious dishes made by aunts.  Grandma´s house is a bit of history in itself.  The house is older than the civil war and was used by the Yankees as a hospital.  The spring house still stands and still houses fresh, cold water.  

At times it saddens me to know that family members I hold dear are strangers to my children.  

Visiting Grandma.  Having lunch with some Aunts.



 There are traditions firmly established in my family that bring us comfort and joy.  Going to the State Fair every year was a  highlight of my childhood.  Oh, that my children could boast the same.  This year we took our children.  Corban enjoyed every aspect.  He loved seeing the big tractors, the shops that sold a variety of agricultural necessities, the food, the rides, the animals, the shows... How fun to see Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, and cousins as we spent the day at the fair.  
at the petting farm

There is something special about spending time with cousins.  There is something special about the love and unity of family.

I am so thankful that even over the time and distance I am able to maintain a close relationship with my siblings.  I am thankful for friends that are as close as family.  

Even though there are occasional times when I feel the losses I have suffered of lands, houses, family, and culture.  Above all I can testify that the Good Lord has been faithful to me.  I have reaped 100 fold in this lifetime all that I ever sowed.  AND I CONTINUE TO REAP.  I have made friends in Guatemala that have stepped in to become the family I left behind.  I have married into a warm loving family.  My husband, my soulmate, my bestfriend  is there for me at all times.  He is a good provider for this family, affording us a nice house in a nice neighborhood.  I may not have the 350 acres I left behind, but I do have a good life.  One full of rewards both spiritual and material.  I am satisfied.  And if hindsight is 20/20 then I can look back and say that I have no regrets about leaving so many things behind in order to pursue the plans and purposed of God for my life.  


learning to fish with Uncle Frank and the boys
cousins

 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario