Adventures in Faith, learning every step of the way

miércoles, 18 de julio de 2012

A Passion for Compassion

Compassion... a word I have been thinking a lot about lately.

Therefore, as God´s chosen people, holy and dearly beloved, clothe yourselves with COMPASSION, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.  Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another.  Forgive as the Lord forgave you.  and over all these virtues put on LOVE , which binds them all together in perfect unity.   (Colossians 3:15-17)

As I clothe myself with compassion and put on love I find myself motivated to help others.  I find myself urged to forget whatever challenges I may be facing and instead look to serve my brother, neighbor, stranger, friend, and enemy. When we make compassion a part of our daily lives we begin to see things differently, I think.  Compassion is truly the opposite of selfishness and self-centered living.  If more were motivated by compassion for others instead of self-seeking this world would be a different place.

Jesus went through all the towns and villages, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the good news of the kingdom and healing every disease and sickness.  When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.  Then he said to his disciples, "The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few.  Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field." (Matthew 9:35-38)

I am not a Bible scholar, but as I meditate on this I see a few things.  As Jesus taught and healed he drew crowds.  Doubtless the size of the crowd was too big for a single person (Jesus) to handle.  Imagine, trying to pray for and minister to each individual need.

Imagine yourself in that crowd.  Crowds then weren't much different than they are today.  I am sure there were those who lacked patience, those who grumbled because there were too many people, they couldn't see or hear, they were being pushed and jostled, etc.  Others who wouldn't wait their turn but shoved their way to the front to have their need met first.  Timid folks, folks who vocally expressed dissatisfaction, others who kept it to themselves, some who came just to see what all the ruckus was about, others who came to make fun.... and also those who respectfully waited their turn, and a few who despite the long waits, hot sun, and uncomfortable conditions managed to keep a smile on their face and a good attitude. 

They were harassed and helpless.  hmmm.  Harassed by whom?  By each other.  By the devil.  They needed help.  What was Jesus' response to this overwhelming need?  He told his disciples to pray for more workers, others also moved by compassion who would labor alongside Jesus.

As I look around me, I am also moved with compassion.  It is compassion that motivates me to write Bible lessons, designed to sow the Word of God into little hearts.  Without the living Word of God in their hearts, these families will not see the fullness of God operating in their lives.  The will stumble along in darkness without the Word to light their path.  It is compassion that leads us to carry medical teams and evangelistic teams into remote, unreached areas of San José Pinula.  It is compassion that motivates us to constantly seek for donations to bless the families in our community.

I am so thankful to be a part of the move of God taking place in this part of the country.  I am so thankful for every person who supports this ministry and makes it possible for us to continue.  I am so thankful for the mission teams who have come and the missionaries who visit.  But still there is much work to be done.

Join us as we pray for more laborers to join us in the harvest.

1 comentario: